IRB-04 Home Western IRB (WIRB)
Western IRB (WIRB®) has been established as a fourth UF IRB for studies utilizing FDA regulated articles that are sponsored by private companies. The information on these pages are provided to assist investigators with WIRB® submissions.
Prior to submitting any research to WIRB® you must first determine if your project must be sent to a local UF IRB (IRB-01, IRB-02, or IRB-03) for review and approval. Please be sure to review all of the information below to insure it is appropriate to submit to WIRB®.
Note: If you submit your project to WIRB but the project is not considered eligible for WIRB review, the University will have WIRB® rescind their approval and you will be required to resubmit your project to your local IRB. If you have any questions contact Ivana Simic at 352-273-9604 for assistance.
Please use the links on the left to help you with submitting your paperwork to WIRB®.
Who must submit protocols to WIRB®?
- UF established a relationship with WIRB® to help relieve some of the workload of the UF IRBs. UF investigators are encouraged to submit all eligible studies to WIRB® if the sponsor is willing to provide support.
- The College of Medicine Faculty (Gainesville and Jacksonville) utilizes the Western Institutional Review Board (WIRB®) for all industry-supported clinical research trials involving human subjects.
- Federally (PHS, DoD, etc.) supported clinical trials will continue to use the UF IRB 1 and UF IRB 3 panels. If Investigators wish to enroll VA subjects or utilize VA resources, they must submit their projects to IRB-01.
- This policy applies only to College of Medicine submissions assuming all of the conditions are met. If use of WIRB is required and you wish to use IRB-01, you must receive approval from Michael Mahoney.
- Faculty and staff in other UF colleges (e.g. Dentistry, Pharmacy, Nursing, etc.) may choose to use WIRB® if their study meets the criteria. Unlike the College of Medicine however, it is not mandatory.
To ensure your study meets WIRB criteria, click on the What studies are Eligible to submit to WIRB page.